This is the homepage for CS 487/687
(also cross-listed as CM 730).
This course is an introduction to the use of computers for symbolic mathematical computation, commonly called computer algebra. The types of mathematical computations of interest include computing with polynomials, matrices, solving linear equations, solving systems of polynomial equations, etc. The course is designed to expose students to
- the concepts from modern algebra which are applied to the development of algorithms for symbolic computation
- the data structures used for symbolic computation; and
- various applications of symbolic computation.
Announcements (Winter 2020)
- March 22, 2020: Script 10 has been posted.
- March 5, 2020: Script 9 has been posted.
- February 26, 2020: Script 8 has been posted.
- February 13, 2020: Script 7 has been posted.
- February 4, 2020: Script 6 has been posted.
- February 4, 2020: Script 5 has been posted.
- January 23, 2020: Script 4 has been posted.
- January 20, 2020: Script 3 has been posted.
- January 15, 2020: Assignment 1 has been released on Crowdmark.
- January 14, 2020: Script 2 has been posted.
- January 7, 2020: First lecture today: T/Th in MC 4060 at 4:00pm.